Statewide, Regional and Retired Delegates to the NEA RA
Nomination and election process
Statewide, regional and retired delegates from Massachusetts to the 2024 National Education Association Representative Assembly will be elected by the membership during February, March and April. The NEA RA is the world’s largest democratic deliberative assembly. As a state affiliate of the NEA, the MTA receives an allocation of delegate seats based upon state membership. This is in addition to seats allocated to local associations.
Who is eligible to run?
- Active and retired members may run for delegate to the NEA RA.
- The MTA will be notified by the NEA in January of the number of delegates allocated to Massachusetts. The allocation of statewide and regional delegates will be based on electoral regions A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H. A list of local associations by electoral region is available upon request.
- The nomination period for MTA's delegate seats is now in process and will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 12, 2024.
More about the election
- The election period for retired delegates runs from the first Monday in February through the second Friday in March.
- Retired delegate ballots and bio/statements will be provided only to retired and retired life NEA members.
Statewide and regional delegates
- The election period for statewide and regional delegates runs from the first Monday in March through the third Friday in April.
- Ballots for statewide and regional delegates will be provided to eligible active MTA/NEA members and will be accompanied by bio/statements and photos of candidates who submit them.
- The distribution of statewide and regional seats will be voted on by the MTA Board of Directors at its meeting in February; candidates will be informed of the final allocation plan and will be given an opportunity to alter the designation for the level they seek to represent.
- The Credentials and Ballot Committee has adopted procedures for the election that call for ballots and other material to be provided directly to each NEA member in Massachusetts.
Local associations also elect delegates to the NEA RA. Learn More
NEA Representative Assembly
The 2024 RA will be held July 3 to 7 in Philadelphia. Statewide, regional and retired delegates from Massachusetts will attend, in addition to delegates elected by local associations.
MTA provides up to $2000 in funding to cover travel expenses for statewide, regional, retired and student delegates.
Elected delegates are expected to comply with the accountability requirements set forth by the MTA. Funding will not be provided unless accountability requirements are met.