Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee
The Massachusetts Teachers Association believes that the diversity of our society enhances the lives of all individuals. The similarities and differences among people in regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, language, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical ability, size, occupation and marital, parental or economic status form the fabric of our society.
Excerpt from MTA Resolution on Diversity
About the Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee
The Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee exists to advise the MTA Board of Directors as to the status, concerns, and affairs of ethnic and minority groups on a local, state, and national level. EMAC advocates for the identification, development, and empowerment of MTAs’ American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Black, Hispanic, and other racial or ethnic minority (includes Cape Verdean) members.
The Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee exists to advise the MTA Board of Directors, and to advocate for ethnic minority constituents within the Association. Specifically EMAC will monitor the implementation of the MTA’s Ethnic minority Involvement Plan.
- Interim Chair: Candace Shivers, Massachusetts Community College Council
- Heba Abu, Cambridge Education Association
- Jennipher Burgess, Lexington Education Association
- Claudia Fox Tree, Lincoln
- Joe Herosy, MTA Retired
- Lisa Hua, Palmer
- Tammy Johnson, Equal Opportunity Council EOC chair (ex-officio), Education Association of Plymouth and Carver
- Shauna Manning, Classified Staff Union
- Takeru Nagayoshi, New Bedford Educators Association
- Merrie Najimy, Member Ex Officio, MTA President
- Max Page, Member Ex Officio, MTA Vice President
- Rosa Lopez-Whitehill, Member Ex Officio, At-Large Ethnic Minority Director
- MTA Staff Assistant: Kay Coady, firstname.lastname@example.org
- MTA Staff Consultant: Kweku Nyinaku, email@example.com
“ If you aren't in the room, you don't have a voice. Be in the room.”Former EMAC Chair Susan Baker