ESSA for Paraeducators
The Every Student Succeeds Act,passed in 2015 as the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, givesparaeducators*a voice in key decision-making and professional development opportunities at the local, state and federal levels. This is a major improvement over the one-size-fits-all approach ofNo Child Left Behind,the previous version of ESEA.
*Paraeducatorsare referred to asparaprofessionalsin the new law.
ESSA Paraeducator Empowerment
- Maintainsparaeducator qualification requirementsin Title I of the current law.
- Requiresparaeducator voicesin several places in the law, including sections on professional development, needs assessment and the use of some grant funds.
- Provides opportunity through development of local plans to discuss ways in whichparaeducatorswill be able to meet their certification and licensure requirements at the local level — inprofessional developmentandtuition reimbursement, for example.
- Requires consultation with organizations representing educators in several places to ensure thatparaeducators and their local unionshave a say in decision-making.
- Expands the reach ofcollective bargainingto cover:
- Targeted school supports and improvements in Title I.
- Professional development, pay based on professional growth, the Teacher and School Leader Incentive Program (formerly called TIF), and all other provisions of contracts impacted by Title II.
- Community schools in Title IV.
- Paraeducator Voice and Opportunity
- ESP Voice and Opportunity
- Opportunity Dashboard Indicators
- Paraeducators & the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) – S. 1177
- The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): Implications for Paraeducators, Teachers, and Administrators
- Why Educators Support the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Take Charge on ESSA NEA Video
- ESSA Member Engagement
- 7 Ways to Get Your State Ready for ESSA
- 5 Steps to Creating Your Local’s ESSA Team
- Invitation to Association Members to Join Local Implementation Team
- ESSA Commitment Card
- Invitation to Local Stakeholders
- Sample Speech to Local School Board
- Sample School Board Resolution
- Get ESSA Right
- DESE ESSA Overview
- Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) Stakeholder Engagement Guide