Action on Health & Safety
Watch how other NEA Locals are using POST
Hot Topic: Heat Stress
In June 2021, educators and students sweltered during the heat wave that hit New England. Educators and students who are exposed to “extreme hot” environments may be at risk of heat-related disease, occupational illnesses and injuries.
Union action on heat stress is part of our campaign for air quality and improved ventilation.
- Download this fact sheet from the E H & S Committee to learn how your Health & Safety Committee can take action
- NYSUT (NY education union: NEA & AFT) has a whole campaign on overheated classrooms.
- The National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments has valuable information for higher ed and pk-12.
MTA is backing two bills for safe & healthy schools and campuses.
An Act to ensure the health and safety of the Commonwealth’s students and educators (pk-12 schools)
- Establishes new state ventilation requirements that current and future public school facilities must meet under both normal and pandemic conditions.
- For more information, download the fact sheet and please contact your legislators in support.
Higher Ed Members of the EH & S Committee testified in a hearing in May in Support of H 1351, An Act to ensure safe and healthy public higher education campuses.
Download fact sheet here. Write your legislators in support!