Just for New Teachers at Summer Conference
Who should attend?
Are you in your first five years of teaching? Are you ready to venture beyond your classroom? Then MTA’s fully-funded 2011 Summer Conference New Member Program is for you.
How much does it cost?
The program is fully funded by MTA. There is a $25, refundable registration fee. The program requires your full attendance (Sunday afternoon through Thursday morning). The fee is refunded upon completion of the program.
Why spend five days in the beautiful Berkshires?
A Primer for Professional Survival will provide the knowledge and skills you need to survive and thrive in a profession where everything from funding to licensure to how you teach is driven by shifting political winds. Local working conditions and salaries are a function of hard fought contract negotiations. Employment insecurity for new teachers is a given. Further, your week in the beautiful Berkshires will provide you plenty of opportunities to meet people and have a lot of fun!
Early-Career Educators/MTA Members (years 1-5)
Presented by the MTA New Member Committee
What is the program about?
- Rules, Rules, Rules – Licensure rules, whether your school is underperforming, the length of the school day and year, and every other school and district policy
- Your Employment – Salaries and working conditions, evaluations and PTS (Professional Teacher Status)
- Staying Alive – Everything from daily survival; to relationships with students, colleagues and administrators; to the outlook for budget cuts and lay-offs
- The Union – The role your local and state union play in all of the above, as well as in negotiating and enforcing your contract
What is the program not about?
- Curriculum or instructional professional development
- Classroom management strategies
MTA does offer instructional professional development opportunities at its December Just for New Teachers conference, but not at our summer conference.
How do I sign up?
Here on the MTA website after May 1.
What is the deadline?
June 17, 2011. Registration is on a first-come, first served basis. There may be limitations per district based on district size.
Subscribe to MTA News Headlines by Email