Systems Support Specialist
The Massachusetts Teachers Association is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Systems Support Specialist for our ITS Division. Please notify Human Resources in writing if you are interested in applying for this opportunity.
TITLE: Systems Support Specialist
DIVISION: Information Technology Services
DESIGNATION: MTASO Unit, Level V
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY: The Systems Support Specialist works in a positive cooperative manner with other staff in the day-to-day operations of a networked environment including installing and maintaining computer hardware, software and peripherals. The specialist supports end users in the operation of computer systems and maintains extreme confidentiality of highly sensitive data.
REPORTS TO: Director, Information Technology Services
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Installs, configures, maintains, and integrates hardware, software, applications, and peripherals.
- Supports end users in the operation of computers, applications, and electronic communications systems.
- Assists in maintaining file servers and computers.
- Identifies suspected causes of hardware malfunctions and/or program/system errors; initiates corrective action; follows up to ensure maximum systems functionality.
- Contacts appropriate vendors for computer and other repairs.
- Performs back-ups routinely to insure file integrity; maintains the inventory of all backup data in off-site storage.
- Physically installs and operates computer and peripheral equipment.
- Performs data entry, testing and debugging.
- Configures and installs system upgrades and additions.
- Assists in providing training and documentation for users.
- Maintains inventory of computer equipment.
- Works in a positive manner with all employees and vendors.
- Schedules, monitors and controls the maintenance and operation of computer systems.
- Administers the users' logons to the various computer systems, adding, changing and removing users and groups as needed and adding, changing and removing applications to user setups.
- Assists the director in researching, developing, and testing new software. Performs other related duties as required.
- At least 5 years of experience in all phases of computer operations, installation, maintenance and related software.
- Demonstrated experience in the installation of network systems.
- Familiarity with router technology in a WAN environment.
- Demonstrated initiative and leadership ability.
- Excellent communications skills; ability to deal with users effectively.
- Extensive knowledge of data entry and software applications.
- General office setting; lifting up to 60 lbs; some statewide travel.
- High school diploma and network or additional related technical training/experience preferred.
We offer an excellent salary and comprehensive benefits package. To apply for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to:
MTA Human Resources
20 Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
The MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value our diverse workforce and welcome applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.