Director of Affiliate Services
The Massachusetts Teachers Association is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Director of Affiliate Services. If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please notify Human Resources in writing.
TITLE: Director of Affiliate Services
DIVISION: Affiliate Services
REPORTS TO: Executive Director-Treasurer
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY: Manage the development and delivery of high quality MTA/NEA programs, organizing efforts and direct services to the membership.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Directs the operation of the Division of Affiliate Services and manages one MTA regional office.
- Directs and supervises managerial, supervisory, executive staff and support staff, conducts performance reviews, makes employment related recommendations and administers the personnel policies of the association.
- Identifies staff and local association training needs; designs or coordinates required programs.
- Identifies, designs, communicates and manages programs for the delivery of services, organizational efforts, membership development and leadership development.
- Develops and maintains data and accountability systems to ensure the proper delivery of service.
- Develops and administers the annual division budget; accounts for expenditures in accordance with prescribed procedures.
- Designs, recommends and implements organizing strategies to fulfill the goals of MTA’s Strategic Action Plan; designs and recommends, data collection systems to track results; monitors implementation and results.
- Plans and conducts regular scheduled staff meetings and is responsible for keeping Affiliate Services’ staff and managers up-to-date on Board actions and organizational activities.
- Ensures that regional offices have coverage at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff and members.
- Implements association policies and procedures as directed.
- Develops policy recommendations.
- Works in the most harmonious and productive manner possible with other divisions of the MTA for the attainment of the goals of MTA’s Strategic Action Plan.
- Manages the operation of the Affiliate Services Division.
- Encourages and fosters a team environment within and among regional offices and other divisions.
- Develops, coordinates and executes grassroots organizational and political action programs in cooperation with other divisions.
- Develops and communicates guidelines and strategies for collective bargaining and related programs.
- Assists in the development of training programs for staff and members.
- Serves cooperatively and effectively as a member of the management team.
- Serves on various committees, and chairs when assigned.
- Assumes responsibility for special program assignments.
- Develops and maintains up-to-date Standard Operating Procedures.
- Attends MTA Executive Committee and Board of Directors meetings.
- Coordinates activities with the NEA as required.
- Maintains familiarity with the laws and regulations governing municipal and state employees, MTA affiliates and the MTA.
- Performs ongoing assessment of effectiveness of programs and materials.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree. Masters Degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, supervise, coordinate and evaluate programs and personnel.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work in a positive, creative and productive manner with staff and elected leaders in the development and implementation of programs and long range plans.
- Understanding of the importance of political and community action as it relates to a state association and affiliates.
- Knowledge and support of interest based bargaining.
- Experience in organizing and a commitment and ability to work on the creation and implementation of grassroots organizing and political action programs through the Division of Affiliate Services, in concert with other divisions to achieve the goals of MTA’s Strategic Action Plan.
- Excellent written and verbal skills; effective public speaker.
- Ability to effectively motivate and lead staff, elected leaders and members.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and ability to make swift, sound decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating decision-making with individuals and diverse groups, and for mediating and resolving disputes between individuals and groups.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willingness and ability to work long hours, nights and weekends, and to travel statewide and nationally as required.
- Ability to travel on short notice to respond to situations in various geographic locations.
- Personal automobile and Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Managerial, administrative and evaluation experience required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in representing unions in public sector collective bargaining, contract administration and arbitration as these relate to the qualifications and job functions.
To apply for this opportunity, submit your cover letter and resume to:
MTA Human Resources
2 Heritage Drive, 8th Floor
Quincy, MA 02171-2119
The MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value our diverse workforce and welcome applications from minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Follow MTA on LinkedIn and Twitter.