The Department of Early Education and Care’s Professional Qualifications Registry

All educators and educator assistants who currently work in a Department of Early Education and Care (EEC)-licensed, center-based program or family child-care home serving infants, toddlers, preschoolers and/or school-aged children in Massachusetts are required to register annually with the EEC’s Professional Qualifications Registry in order to comply with licensing regulations.* The Professional Qualifications Registry gathers important information on the size, composition, education and experience of EEC’s current work-force, including information about the retention and turnover of educators working in early education and care and out-of-school time programs. This information will help EEC’s work-force development system respond to the needs of all educators working in EEC-licensed, center-based and family child-care programs in Massachusetts.

Access to the Professional Qualifications Registry is online at the following website: Instructions on how to register are listed on the web page. Once an educator completes the online registration, he or she will be able to print a certificate that verifies registration in the Professional Qualifications Registry from the summary page in the educator’s account. This certificate contains the registry number and expiration date, along with identification information, and may be laminated and carried  as proof of registration. To see a sample registration card, visit:

The Professional Qualifications Registry card provides educators with their information in an easily accessible format to register for EEC-funded professional development opportunities. It also  serves as identification to receive educator discounts at retailers that offer benefits (such as Barnes and Noble or The Loft) and free or discounted entry at certain museums.

*The Professional Qualifications Registry is also open to (but not a requirement of) educators working in public preschools and other programs that are not subject to EEC licensure. In Massachusetts, a license is required to provide most child-care services. A Family Child Care License is required to care for children not related to the educator on a regular basis in a home. There are two types of center-based licenses. A Small Group and School Age Child Care License is required for programs that care for 10 or fewer unrelated children on a regular basis in a center or building that is not a home. A Large Group and School Age Child Care License is required for programs who care for 11 or more unrelated children on a regular basis in a center or building.